I like to prepare a light meal on Friday night, how about you? Did you ever make sushi at home? Try this delicious low carb version for sushi. It can be a fun way for family or friends to all pitch in and for each chef to make their own preferred combination! We did it a couple of weeks ago and had a great time and laugh too!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Portion: 2 servings
- ½ cup cauliflower rice
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- A pinch of Himalayan salt
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic, divided
- 6 shiitake mushrooms
- 2 sheets nori (dried seaweed)
- ¼ organic cucumber
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- ½ Hass avocado
- 2 tablespoons hummus (Abraham’s plain hummus)
For serving (optional):
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Pickled ginger
- Start by heating a large pan over medium heat. Use a medium saucepan to cook the cauliflower, rice with turmeric, salt, and garlic; use a wood spoon to stir occasionally. After 5 minutes, lower heat to low and cover—about 7-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prep your veggies by chopping them into thin pieces. If they’re too bulky they won’t allow the sushi to roll well. Sauté the mushrooms with a little bit of coconut oil, garlic, and salt—about 3-5 mins.
- Once the cauliflower rice is ready, let it cool down for 5 minutes.
- Now it’s time to roll: Grab the sheet of nori and cover 1/3 of the nori sheet by making rows with each of the ingredients—cauliflower rice, carrots, cucumbers, avocado, and shiitake mushrooms.
Tip: Make sure it’s not too thick or your roll will be too big.
- Gently fold over twice, add a row of hummus, and continue rolling until sushi is sealed. With a very sharp knife, cut the roll into 1-inch pieces.
- Serve and enjoy with wasabi and pickled ginger and perhaps gluten free tamari sauce.